This is my family's favourite beef stew recipe. And this is a great time of the year to have a big pot of it boiling on your stove.
2 1/2 pounds beef for stew
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup salad oil
1 large onion chopped
1 garlic clove minced
3 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes in water or 4 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 medium potatoes cut in chunks
8 carrots cut in chunks
2 turnips cut in chunks
1 10 ounce package frozen peas
1. Cut meat into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Coat stew beef with flour. Reserve leftover flour. Heat oil in 6 quart dutch oven over medium-heat.
2. Brown meat all over in oil, a few pieces at a time. Remove pieces as they brown. Reduce heat to medium.
3. To drippings in pan, add onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes, stirring until onion is almost tender. Stir in reserved flour.
4. Gradually add water, bouillion/broth, salt, Worcestershire, pepper. Cook, stirring until mixture is slightly thickened.
5. Add meat; heat to boiling, stirring Reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 2 1/2 hours until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Add potato, carrot, and turnip. Over medium heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
7. Stir in frozen peas, cover and simmer 5 to 10 minugtes or untail all the vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.