Monday, November 12, 2012

The Best Pizza Dough


I have spent years searching for a great pizza dough recipe - one that is moist and has a bit of a chewy texture, and honing it until I was satisfied. Here it is:

5 1/2 cups flour (I use bread flour but all purpose works well too.) 
2 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
16 gm yeast (2 packages)
1/2 cup semolina (If you don't have semolina, adjust the flour to 6 cups)

Dissolve salt and sugar in warm water. Add flour to water and mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Let sit for 30 minutes. Add oil and yeast and mix on low speed for 2 minutes, and then on high speed for anothr 2 minutes. Dough should be tacky but not wet. Divide into 4. Roll into balls, but don't overwork because this will toughen the dough. Cover and proof overnight in fridge. Don't proof any extra balls of dough. These can be wrapped in plastic and frozen for up to 6 months in zip lock bags. Defrost at room temperature for 3 hours or in fridge overnight.

Use my recipe for great pizza sauce! Together they make a great restaurant quality pizza. 

2 comments:

  1. My husband is the chef in our house, I think I might print this out for him Mirella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news Lindy. You'll have to let me know how it turned out.
    I find that it tastes even better after it's frozen and thawed Crazy huh? But I think it's because the yeast and the ingredients all mix together better after its frozen.

    ReplyDelete

*

*