Friday, December 11, 2009

Festive Eggnog

I found this recipe in a newspaper over twenty years ago. I've been making it ever since. It's extremely decadent and my family's favourite. Once you've had a taste of the real stuff, you'll never buy the supermarket eggnog again.

Festive Eggnog

12 eggs separated
1 cup sugar
2 cups light cream or half and half
1/2 cup rye, rum, or brandy
3 cups heavy cream

Combine the yolks with the sugar and beat until thick and lemon colored. Slowly add the light cream and liquor and beat until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Beat whipping cream in a large bowl to very soft peaks. Then fold in egg whites. Add this to the yolk mixture in the punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Makes 16 cups

Please keep refrigerated at all times.

Please make sure you use the freshest grade AAA eggs with intact shells and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shells.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I am so glad that you've posted a recipe for eggnog like this! I've been searching for a long while for the perfect recipe, but none that I have found or tried have sounded or tasted right. This one seems like I've hit the jackpot! I really CANNOT wait to try this! Thank you SO, so much!

    For anyone else that wants to try this or other recipes that require raw eggs, look for pasturized eggs at your supermarket.

    ReplyDelete

*

*