Thursday, December 31, 2009

Oatmeal Pancakes

I have to admit, my daughters and I love these oatmeal pancakes, but I seldom follow a recipe. I make these the good old fashioned Italian way, by simply adding the ingredients and judging the amounts with only my eyes until I reach the right consistency.

So I made these this morning and wrote down the amounts as I went. They turned out perfectly. And now I have a recipe!

1 large egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked

Beat the egg. Add milk and butter, mixing well.

Combine flour and next 4 ingredients.

Add to the egg mixture, mixing until blended.

Stir oats into batter.

Heat a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat (375*F / 190*C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.

For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until surface is covered with bubbles and appear dry around the edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
Makes about 10 (4-inch) pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*

*